The field of civil litigation is often misunderstood by those outside the legal field. Civil litigation encompasses all types of legal actions that do not fall into the category of criminal law. In a general sense, criminal cases are intended to punish those who commit illegal acts. The goal of civil cases, however, is to provide compensation for those who have experienced losses due to the negligent or damaging actions of others. Sugar Land civil litigation lawyers can provide support for victims of car accidents, malpractice, defective products and other legal matters. Here are some key facts about civil litigation that every Texas resident should know.
Civil Litigation vs. Criminal Prosecution
Criminal law, as its name suggests, deals with the prosecution and punishment of crimes by local, state and federal governments. While criminal offenses can sometimes result in civil cases for damages, the primary penalties for defendants convicted of criminal offenses are monetary fines, probation and time in prison. Criminal cases must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
Civil cases, by contrast, are designed to compensate successful plaintiffs financially for their losses and damages sustained due to the actions of others. In some cases, civil litigation may lead to other court-ordered settlements that may not involve money changing hands. Civil litigation is decided on the preponderance of the evidence and does not require the same burden of proof that must be met for criminal legal cases.
How Civil Cases Work
Whether you are settling a dispute regarding Sugar Land real estate law or navigating a personal injury claim, the procedures for managing these cases are generally the same.
- Retaining the services of a firm that has years of experience in Sugar Land commercial litigation or personal injury law is a solid first step toward pursuing your claims in a Texas court.
- Your attorneys will then perform research to prepare for your case. Evidence collection, gathering of witnesses and consulting with experts in relevant fields are all part of the process that takes place before going to court.
- Depending on the nature of the civil litigation, you may go before a judge or have your case heard by a jury. Arbitration and mediation services may also be available if both parties to the case agree to them.
- If the case is decided in the plaintiff’s favor, he or she will typically be awarded a specific amount of compensation to be paid by the defendant.
- The case may also be dismissed with court costs payable either by the plaintiff or by the defendant in the civil action.
- Once the case has been settled, your attorneys will work with you to ensure that you collect the compensation to which you are entitled and to protect your legal rights in the Texas legal system.
Certain types of civil litigation are intended to enforce contractual obligations. For example, a civil case may be brought against a builder to require the repair or restoration of improperly constructed homes or commercial projects. Real estate transactions may also end up in court and typically require critical legal help to correct mistakes made during the transfer or acquisition of real property.
Enlisting the help of a competent civil litigation team is essential for Sugar Land business owners. The right legal assistance can help your company achieve its goals in and out of court. At The Law Office of Henry Jakob, we have many years of experience in all areas of civil litigation and can provide you with the legal services you need to navigate the Texas legal system. Our knowledgeable and experienced team of attorneys can provide you with the right guidance to defend your legal rights and to pursue your claims effectively. Call us today at 832.879.2244 to discuss your problem with one of our legal representatives.